A Tribute to my dad
Rev. Moses Chukwuemeka Nkemka 
 

Looking at your lifeless body, hoping you would wake up and call my name in a slow manner like you usually do whenever you wake up from sleep “Daaanieeellll”. I waited and waited, prayed and prayed yet you didn’t move an inch.
I touched your body which was already getting cold and I wondered within me, “Could this be true or is it a dream”? I suddenly became restless and paced up and down, hoping that something miraculous would ensue; but unfortunately nothing happened.


Not until I saw your lifeless body being conveyed back to our State; your birth place, that it dawned on me that it is not a drama, but a reality staring at me on the face.
Looking back through the years, I remember your hard core discipline, scolding, flogging and strong words but I also remember your sacrifices, your selflessness, your humility,  your love for God and your children, your total conviction and dependency on God, no matter what. 


Going through memory lane, I remember vividly that whenever you want to wake us up for morning prayers, my name is always the first to be mentioned; “Daanniieelll” and even if I am in a faraway dreamland, I will wake up fast, because I have already familiarized the sound of your voice and as soon as I hear it, I respond right away “saaaaaaaaaa”. 









Sometimes, we wake up 4:30am for morning devotion and you spend over 2 hours preaching, especially if you have something very important to talk about and of course whenever a serious issue arises, we all know that our morning devotion will be very long the next day. As a result, we brace up for it.


Whenever I stayed beyond the curfew, my phone starts ringing and it’s you calling me with your baritone voice in ibo language “Daannieeellll ele ebinor, ngwa lota nulor osisor”, meaning “Daniel where are you, return home immediately”.


You didn’t give your children any special preference to other people; you treated everyone the same. As a matter of fact, you sometimes chose to satisfy others at our expense which was quite painful but it also showed your level of sacrifice, doggedness and devoutness.    







Even when you were sometimes affronted by the same people you cared so much about, ill-treated by the same people you sacrificed yourself for, demoted by the people you are serving under, aggravated and pushed against your will, you still showed a gentle spirit and chose to bear the discomfort without complain. I salute your gentility.  







All through our years of moving with you from place to another, we have learnt the principle of relationship and value for people, which is why wherever we went to, we always create this friendly rapport with everyone around us and we have so far enjoyed a good relationship with people even up till now. 

Sometimes you chose to go hungry so that we will eat, you chose to starve, so that you can pay our school fees even when things were tough and rough; our welfare was your primary concern. 


During the time when you had a major life-threatening health issue, you survived it; even the doctors attested to the fact that your survival was a miracle. Your vigor, tenacity, mulishness against all odds and the strength of God brought you thus far.



Unfortunately, when we you had recovered and had become better, and we, thinking would now enjoy your company better now, whenever we come visiting, had our hopes dashed as you were taken away from us without prior notice.


Am very certain you will be looking at us from heaven, smiling and saying to yourself, “if only these people know that I am very okay where I am they won’t be crying”. 


But Dad, you won’t blame us, because we are simply mortals with emotions and feelings and we miss you so badly.


However, it is pertinent to say that you have fought a good fight of faith, you have finished your race and you have ended your purpose and assignment on planet earth and we can say with all sense of certainty and alacrity that you really ended well. Thank you for all your love and sacrifice



We know we might not see you for quite a while, until the very day that has been designed by God for us to meet again but till then, I say “good bye Dad” Adieu!



@IamDanielKemka
 


Comments

Popular Posts